Los Angeles, California Soft Story Earthquake Retrofits & Retrofitting
Soft Story Earthquake Retrofit & Seismic Retrofitting In Los Ageles, California
There are an estimated 19,000 soft story structures in Los Angeles, California alone; retrofitting these structures to become earthquake resistant buildings is in the process of becoming mandatory by LA City.
On average there are 1,000 California earthquakes every year. Cities in the region are mandating that property owners earthquake proof their house to safeguard residents from harm. Mega Builders, Inc. has been called in many times to reinforce older Los Angeles, California soft story buildings via a seismic retrofit to bring them up to par with today’s far stricter building codes.
Each building must be individually evaluated. Mega Builders carefully inspects the building to isolate the most practical and cost efficient solution. Utilizing our decades of experience, we are able to design and engineer in a way that saves on the construction costs.
The most common solutions utilized: steel moment frames and plywood shear walls (strengthening existing walls), along with foundation repair, foundation bolt (enhancing the base), foundation reinforcement, wall reinforcement, beams reinforcing, and ceiling reinforcing. This adds the proper support that the structure will need against Los Angeles, CA seismic activity. As each property is unique, all retrofits must be customized for each building’s needs. Mega Builders will design, engineer, and acquire the permitting needed and retrofit the structure, all in-house.
Our team is highly-qualified and has extensive experience with complex soft story retrofitting in Los Angeles, California. Call us to schedule an appointment & receive a free price quote Today! (310) 508-7085
Answering Your Questions
WHAT BUILDINGS ARE AT RISK FROM SEISMIC EVENTS?
In California the most common seismic retrofitting is a soft-story retrofit. Weak wood frames are mostly seen in multifamily apartments, which is a common building design in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. Due to new seismic retrofit laws in the State of California, cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles have already started construction to revamp their building landscape. A couple other cities, like Santa Monica and West Hollywood, are rushing to start remodeling their industrial landscape as well.
Solutions: For soft-story retrofitting are steel special moment frames, cantilevered column solutions, or shear wall paneling.
non-ductile concrete buildings. As with multi-story buildings built pre 1978 before seismic codes were tightened; these buildings are made with reinforced concrete, but lack the steel reinforcement to handle a major seismic shock.
Solution: While there are several combinations of solutions for non-ductile concrete, steel beam installations and polymer fiber wrap solutions are often used to retrofit non-ductile concrete buildings.
UNREINFORCED MASONRY (URM)
URM construction is another form pre-seismic law construction that Los Angeles, California is currently preparing to rectify. Mostly seen in aged historic buildings, it has no metal or steel reinforcements at all and is only found within brick and mortars.
Solution: Center core / drill through the bricks vertically and thread rebar or steel through and pour back concrete to secure the hole.
For more information on Soft Story Structures, Non-Ductile Concrete, Unreinforced Masonry, or to find out if your building or home is vulnerable call us today for free at (310) 508-7085 to speak to one of our certified contractors.
COMMON SOFT STORY RETROFIT SOLUTIONS
Mega Builders Inc, with our seismic retrofit services we are proud to be certified applicators of advanced earthquake retrofitting solutions especially proud in the case of advanced composite materials – fiber reinforced polymer (FRP).
- Used to strengthen structures in the same manner as steel, but with an added benefit of composite materials weighing significantly less.
- FRP systems can be used to strengthen reinforced concrete and unreinforced masonry walls.
- This strengthening solution has been utilized in thousands of retrofits, reinforcement, and strengthening projects as it has proved to perform extremely well when combating earthquakes.
What are Shear Walls?
- Shear Walls: Vertical-oriented wide beams that transfers lateral forces from exterior walls, floors, and roofs straight to the ground foundation.
What are CANTILEVER COLUMNS?
- Cantilever Columns: horizontal beam that is unsupported at its end. It is the vertical component to and that supports horizontal cantilever beams.
What are MOMENT FRAMES?
- Moment Frames: a system of columns and beams that are connected to one another with fully and/or partially restrained connections.
- Specialized moment frames are can withstand significant inelastic deformation as a result of lateral forces. They are used typically in mid or high-seismic regions and are significantly more expensive than other retrofitting options.
What is DESTRUCTIVE TESTING?
- Destructive Testing: Determining design & structural weaknesses.
- Resulting in a need to expose inner structures and connections.
What is NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING?
- Non-Destructive Testing: Evaluating materials and inner structures for vulnerabilities without causing damage to the structure.
- Ground penetrating radar: Use of radio waves to scan concrete.
- Concrete x-ray: Use of x-rays or gamma rays to imagine the interior of a target to identify any vulnerabilities or embedded objects.
To learn more on seismic / earthquake retrofitting or to ensure your safety, give us a call today to talk to our specialists for free (310) 508-7085
Mega Builder Inc., construction company providing excellent earthquake retrofitting & soft story retrofits in Los Angeles, California. No project is too big, small, or specialized for us to tackle. We work to ensure your safety. Every project receives our utmost attention and commitment to make sure client gratification. Our clients know they can depend on us to get the job done on time and on target, from start to finish and every step in between. Servicing each individual area of Los Angeles: Greater Los Angeles, Encino, Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Calabasas, Northridge, Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Canoga Park, Mission Hills, Beverly Hills, North Hills, San fernando Valley, Burbank, Glendale, Highland Park, Echo Park, Venice, Melrose, Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Pacific Palisades for over 21yrs.
For Los Angeles, California Earthquake Retrofitting cost:
To Discuss Your Needs For Free & Receive A Free Price Quote
Call Us at
Or Contact Us Below
Proudly Servicing The Following Areas:
Los Angeles, California: Greater Los Angeles, Encino, Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Calabasas, Los Angeles, Northridge, Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Canoga Park, Mission Hills, Beverly Hills, North Hills, San Fernando Valley, Burbank, Glendale, Highland Park, Echo Park, Venice, Melrose, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades.